Saturday 8 December 2007

Looking good

The Golden Compass has started here, and will follow in Australia very soon. Click here for the NY Times' review. The link will take you to a NY Times page with the review from where you can also look at trailers and other info.
It's reassuring to note that this is just the first of three movies to be made of the Philip Pullman trilogy, His Dark Materials. I was wondering what the filmmakers had done to the story of Lyra and Will's relationship, as there seems little of it in the trailers. For me, it was one of the most poignant elements of the books, especially at the end, which I won't talk about in the hope that if you haven't read them, you may do so.

:: The NYT page will also connect you to other reviews, and it's sad to see Atonement not scoring very highly. But then again, Keira Knightley's in it, and I don't find her particulalry impressive.

:: Chapter III's having a change of colours ... I spoke to my parents in Australia last night and they told me that they were having to buy lots of colour cartridges for their printer because they print all my posts out, and all the blue type, plus the pics, meant a big drain on printing resources. So plain black from now on!

1 comment:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

That's sweet you are saving them ink. My boys read the Dark Materials series 3 years ago and are they ever ready to like the movie... they are holding their collective breaths.