Wednesday 2 March 2011

The mess, it grows

Would you believe I spent almost all of yesterday organising one bookcase? (Please note hi-tech cardboard wedges in sideboard doors to stop baby grand-daughter adding contents to bedlam.)
The house is in such chaos at the moment, partially because we inherited a bit of clutter and mess when Lily and Nick moved out after staying here with us for a month before the move to Melbourne.
And partially because I am pretty slack at the best of times, and we've been having a heatwave, which saps me of whatever minuscule ambition I might have to do housework. Even with the air-con on.
But enough is enough and it's time I clawed my way back.
Lily and Nick left three bookcases in our garage, so I've nabbed this one for this spot. My idea is that this bookcase, once stocked in an orderly way, will relieve some of the pressure in here ...
... so I can once more enjoy a calm, clear room in which to work.
For the first time in this house I have all the reference books together, plus all of my and Will's fabulous art books, which is brilliant.
But now I'm being distracted by the fourth shelf up, which has cookbooks on it, and a spot where we can charge our phones and iPods. The cookbooks are all about to go back into the cupboard in the kitchen so I can give the novels above more room. they will continue into the work room.
Better hustle — (paid) work in a few hours ...

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Les, I am longing for some cool weather to carry out a book cull and create some orderly space at my place too. It might happen in early July ... (no air con here, sob)

Rattling On said...

I spent most of a day clearing *one drawer* in the half term hols. Incredible what you can stuff into a small space given the will. Now it has only tea towels, the rest of the sh*te went in the bin. Where it should have gone in the first place... Raining here.

Cathy said...

Hi Lesley. I am very impressed with your organisational efforts. I have just been doing much the same with my huge collection of books and just about everything else. We have had the upstairs recarpeted and it involved massive moves. Still, I found things I thought I had lost years ago and some things I didn't even know I had. A good clear out works wonders occasionally and it is much colder here so easier to work.

Anonymous said...

I am sure 'stuff' reproduces when I am not looking. I love to have a good chuck out, then I look around and bingo! there's more...