Friday 2 November 2007

November 1 - Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).

Booking through Thursday
This week's question is:
What with yesterday being Halloween, and all . . . do you read horror? Stories of things that go bump in the night and keep you from sleeping?
Horror is not one of my favourite genres because I'm too much of a wimp! That being said, I have read some wonderful scary stuff.
One of the best/worst was Magic, by William Goldman, the chilling story of a ventriloquist's dummy that ... I won't say any more because of you like horror and you haven't read this - you must! Just the mention of 'ventriloquist's dummy' sends a shiver up my spine after reading this.
I also thought The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris, was a fantastic thriller - fascinating but frightening. It's really worth a read even if you've seen the excellent movie.
I once watched a TV drama, The Woman in Black, which was, quite frankly, so utterly, completely terrifying that just thinking of it still gives me the heeby-jeebies if I'm at home alone at night. I mention this because I've been told that the book, by Susan Hill, is even more of a scare than its TV adaptation. So if you're up for it, give it a go!

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am still haunted by Silence of the Lambs. Every time I have to park next to a van, I feel anxious and wonder if someone will pop out and grab me. Of course, if I can avoid it, I try not to park next to one at all. :-)

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesley said...

Hoi there, Lit-Fel! I see you enjoyed the Historian, which I have in my bedside pile - better get started on that one. I've also just signed up to NaNoWriMo - what have I done?

Anonymous said...

Ghosts and Goblins don't scare me but psychopaths do..